Financial Links & Resources
NEW: FTC Videos on protecting your computer information from being hacked by online predators:
- Stop, Think Connect: Resource guides and informational brochures for students, parents, and young professional on topics related to Cybersecurity published by the federal Department of Homeland Security.
- Computer Security: FTC tips: “Learn how to protect your computer, your information, and your online files.”
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) - The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's website provides educational brochures on consumer financial products and services provided to Americans - whether they are applying for a mortgage, choosing among credit cards, or using any number of other consumer financial products.
- Glossary of Financial Terms - Definitions for commonly used financial terms.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries LiLI
- Get Smart - Get $mart Idaho, an affiliate of the Idaho Financial Literacy Coalition
- MyMoney.Gov - U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission - Providing financial education resources for all Americans.
- AnnualCreditReport.com - This central site allows you to request a free credit file disclosure, commonly called a credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
- The Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy - The Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy seeks to improve the personal financial literacy of young adults.
- U.S. Department of the Treasury Financial Literacy and Education Commission - The Financial Literacy and Education Commission (the Commission) was established under Title V, the Financial Literacy and Education Improvement Act, which was part of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, to improve financial literacy and education of persons in the United States.
- National Endowment for Financial Education - The National Endowment for Financial Education® (NEFE®) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) foundation dedicated to helping all Americans acquire the information and gain the skills necessary to take control of their personal finances. NEFE accomplishes its mission primarily by partnering with other concerned organizations to provide financial education to members of the public—in particular, to underserved individuals whose financial education issues are not being addressed by others. These partnerships are an effective means of responding to the needs of many different groups within the general population.
- North American Securities Administrator Association - Organized in 1919, the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) is the oldest international organization devoted to investor protection. NASAA is a voluntary association whose membership consists of 67 state, provincial, and territorial securities administrators in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, and Mexico.
- The Better Business Bureau - BBB reports provide information on over 2.5 million organizations. It's a good idea to check before you invest or give.
- Federal Trade Commission - The Federal Trade Commission is the nation's consumer protection agency. The FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection works for the Consumer to prevent fraud, deception, and unfair business practices in the marketplace. The FTC provides a variety of both consumer and business informational brochures.
- Fair Isaac Credit Reporting - FICO provides information on citizen's credit scores and factors that are considered in scoring calculations. Links on FICO's website also discuss credit reports, and a quick credit calculator.
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - HUD offers excellent informational links pertaining to understanding your mortgage, HUD approved counselors, and how to avoid foreclosure - and more.
- Idaho Housing and Finance Association
- National Credit Union Administration
- Second Life Virtual World - University of Idaho Extension - Idahonia is the University of Idaho’s presence in the Second Life® universe. Second Life® is a multi-user real-time virtual community that is built and supported by its residents. Please note: After creating an account with Second Life® you will need to create an avatar.
Investing Tips and Resources
Research Your Broker
Fraud Prevention Tips
Credit Cards and Consumer Lending
- The FDIC tip sheet entitled “Credit Reports Basics” outlines important consumer-related information regarding credit reports. Tips related to consumer protections available to consumers, as well as, guidance on building a better credit report.
- The Federal Trade Commission (link attached) has made available a series of tip sheets on credit-related topics for consumers. Topics and guides, include in part, sample form letters that may be used to write to credit reporting agencies, or to companies that may be reporting incorrect account information on consumers’ credit reports. Also included are sample letters for consumers who have been victims of identity theft.
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) link attached provides a variety of topics regarding credit scoring, and the factors considered in credit scoring calculations. Included on the CFPB’s link are also tips on consumer lending as well as, shopping for consumer loans.
- Consumer Lending: Tips and Information
- Money Smart
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Student Loan Information “PAYING FOR COLLEGE” - The CFPB offers information and tips regarding student loans, choices, and pitfalls.
- Twelve Principles of Personal Financial Literacy - The basics of financial literacy.
- Informational brochures about securing credit, advanced fee loan scams, and Fair Credit Billing
- Payday Loans in Idaho
- FRONTLINE Feature: "The Secret History of the Credit Card" - Frontline, with funding from PBS, has included educational links for citizens who are seeking more information on credit card use - tips to be aware of regarding credit cards, credit cards and personal responsibility - and more.
Third-Party Collection, Debt and Credit Counseling / Debt Settlement Services
Information for Servicemembers